Group leader application
Join the fleet of over 200 volunteer groups that make the 2017 Bank of America Chicago Marathon a world-class success! Group leaders recruit volunteers, share assignment information, relay registration instructions and keep their group on task and organized on the day of the event.
Group leader application
Prior to applying, please review the volunteer guidelines and the following reminders:
- Group leaders are expected to bring a minimum of 25 volunteers
- All volunteers must register online by Monday, October 2
- All volunteers must be 16 years or older on the day of the event
- All volunteers must present a form of photo identification at Volunteer Check-In
- Each group will be assigned to a particular role according to the needs of the event, your group’s past volunteer experience and the total number of volunteers you expect to recruit.
- Past volunteer groups will receive priority for assignment over new groups.
- Due to high interest and event specific volunteer needs, not all applicants will be assigned.
- Volunteer groups may be divided and/or reassigned to a different volunteer job as needed by the event. Be aware there is always the potential that your group may be divided and reassigned.
- Week of July 24: Launch of group leader application
- Week of August 8: Group assignments begin and continue on a rolling basis. Assignment information will include:
- Volunteer group assignment, shift time, check-in location and contact
- Online registration link to share with volunteers. All volunteers are required to register online.
- Group leader log-in for the online registration system
- Monday, October 2: Deadline for all volunteers to register online
- Friday, October 6 and Saturday, October 7: Abbott Health & Fitness Expo at McCormick Place
- Sunday, October 8: 2017 Bank of America Chicago Marathon
- Tuesday, October 31: Donation paperwork due for eligible volunteer groups
The group leader application has closed for the 2017 event. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Group leader responsibilities
- Volunteer communication – It is your responsibility to make sure your volunteers are aware of specific information regarding your group’s volunteer job.
- Monitor volunteer registration – Group leaders have access to their volunteers’ registration information. To learn more about using the online registration system visit the group leader registration FAQs.
- Fulfilling your group’s recruitment commitment – If you are unable to recruit the requested number of volunteers, notify your Volunteer Program contact as soon as possible so additional volunteers can be recruited. Sufficient staffing are critical to the success of the event, so please keep your contact up to date on your recruitment and registration efforts.
- Volunteer groups with minors – One adult chaperone is required for every 10 volunteers between the ages of 16 to 18 to ensure sufficient supervision. Chaperones must, without exception, be 21 years of age or older, and they must register online with their group.
- Bring identification – All volunteers will be required to provide photo identification at Volunteer Check-In. School IDs are accepted.
- Allot extra time – There will be enhanced security and bag screening throughout the event. Please allot extra time to access the Expo, Grant Park and the race course on the day you are volunteering.
- Job fulfillment – Volunteers are asked to stay until their volunteer assignment is complete. Volunteers that cannot commit to the full shift time are asked not to sign up to volunteer.
Volunteer group donations
We understand the time and effort involved in coordinating a group of volunteers. We would like to recognize qualifying groups with a modest donation.
- Group must be a non-profit group, club or organization
- Group must check-in 25 or more volunteers on race day
- Paperwork must be submitted by the deadline, Tuesday, October 31, 2017
- Abbott Health & Fitness Expo volunteer groups do not qualify to receive a donation
- For more information and required paperwork visit the volunteer group donations webpage
Group leader resources