Thank you for your interest in participating as a volunteer with the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. We appreciate your commitment to helping us make this year’s race a successful event. The Chicago Marathon relies on the kindness and dedication of all of the volunteers.
To help make this year’s race a memorable experience for everyone, we ask that you are aware of the following guidelines:
- Volunteers must register online. All volunteers must register by Monday, October 7, or they will not be allowed to volunteer for the event.
- Do not bring personal belongings. Volunteers are strongly discouraged from bringing personal belongings to the event. Gear check will be required for belongings that cannot be carried in a volunteer’s pockets.
- Wear your event volunteer uniform. Your event uniform and credential must be worn and visible at all times so that event officials, participants, spectators and other volunteers can easily identify you as an event volunteer.
- Check the weather and dress appropriately. It is important to prepare for the weather if you are volunteering outside, so bring enough layers/options of clothing to ensure that you will be comfortable for the duration of your scheduled shift.
- Please arrive on time. Scheduled shift times are unique to each volunteer position and can be found when accessing a job’s online registration. Volunteer Group Leaders will inform their groups of the scheduled shift time.
- Listen to the instructions given by your Volunteer Captain/Group Leader and be alert when performing your role. Each Volunteer Captain/Group Leader has received specific training on their area’s respective volunteer positions. Please listen carefully to their instructions and comply with what they ask. Volunteer and participant safety is our first priority, so we need you to be prepared and aware of your surroundings at all times.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, contact the nearest Volunteer Captain or your Group Leader. Volunteer Captains are outfitted in colored safety vests and/or event branded gear so they are easily identified.
- Treat all spectators, volunteers and race participants with courtesy and respect. Never block the path of race participants, throw items, yell or argue with participants, spectators, or other volunteers.
- Volunteer age limit. We require that all volunteers be 16 years of age or older on the day they are volunteering. Volunteers who are 16 and 17 years of age will be required to register with the permission of a parent or legal guardian. We also do not permit children and young adults, under the age of 16, to accompany registered volunteers when they are volunteering at the Bank of America Chicago Marathon Health & Fitness Expo or on race day.
- Volunteers working with food and/or liquids. Volunteers must wear gloves at all times, pull long hair back in a secured ponytail and sanitize their hands before working and after visits to the restroom when working with food and/or liquid.
- Enjoy your time as a volunteer – have fun! You are one of the reasons that race participants love coming back every year.
We are excited to have you as a volunteer at the Bank of America Chicago Marathon! Thank you for your support!