2017 Entry deferment
Runners, who apply for and receive an entry through the drawing, have the opportunity to defer their 2017 entry to 2018. The deferment guarantees the runner an entry into the 2018 race. It is not a complimentary entry. The deferring runner must pay the full 2018 entry fee.
Once a 2017 entry is deferred to 2018, it cannot be undone.
Instructions on how to defer a 2017 entry to 2018 will be emailed to eligible participants in the spring of 2017.
Those who opt to defer their entry should note:
- Their 2017 Bank of America Chicago Marathon entry will be deferred to 2018.
- Their 2017 entry fee will not be refunded.
- They will be required to claim their entry in 2018 by completing the application for participants who successfully deferred their entry.
- If they decide to claim their entry in 2018, they will be required to pay the full registration fee for the 2018 race.
- Any premium items (MarathonFoto package, Chicago Tribune Commemorative Section, iTab and Balbo Hospitality Tent tickets) purchased will still be valid for 2017 and will not be refunded. These purchases will not carry over to 2018.
- Runners who defer their entries will not be assigned a bib number for the 2017 event. Additionally, they will not receive a participant packet, bag or running shirt for the 2017 event.
- Entries may only be deferred to the 2018 event and cannot be deferred a second time or transferred to another individual.
- Deferment is offered only to those who received an entry through the non-guaranteed entry drawing. It is not an option for those who received a guaranteed entry (time qualifier, legacy finisher, Bank of America employee, 2016 deferred entry and a charity or tour group runner).
- Once an entry is deferred it cannot be undone.
Runners who defer their entry will be notified via email (during the 2018 application window) when they are able to register for the 2018 event.