Group Leader Application
Thank you for your interest in being a Group Leader for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. This year more than 100 groups will help recruit almost 12,000 volunteers to make this event possible. Group Leaders are responsible for recruiting volunteers, sharing assignment information, relaying registration instructions, and keeping their group on task and organized on the day of the event.
Please take a few minutes to read our Group Leader Guidelines and the information below before applying. Note that Group Leaders are expected to bring a minimum of 25 volunteers.
- We require all volunteers to register online by Monday, October 7.
- Unregistered volunteers will NOT be admitted on the day of the event due to increased security.
- We require all volunteers to be 16 years or older on the day of the event.
- Presenting a form of photo identification will be required at check-in.
After applying to become a Group Leader, your group may be assigned to a particular role according to the needs of the event, your group’s past volunteer experience, and the total number of volunteers you expect to recruit. Please note that due to high interest and the event’s specific volunteer needs, not all applicants will be assigned. For more information on the Group Leader Application process, please refer to our Group Leader Application Frequently Asked Questions.
Timeline of Key Dates:
- Monday, July 29: Launch of Group Leader Application
- Week of August 12: Chicago Marathon Volunteer Team will begin to assign groups. Assignment information will provide Group Leaders with the following:
- Volunteer group assignment(s)
- Check-in/check-out time
- Volunteer check-in location
- Online registration link to share with volunteers – all volunteers are required to register online
- Group Leader log-in for the online registration system
- Saturday, September 28: Group Leaders are required to attend the Event Production Meeting at De La Salle Institute
- Monday, October 7: Deadline for all volunteers to register online
- Friday, October 11 and Saturday, October 12: Bank of America Chicago Marathon Health & Fitness Expo at McCormick Place
- Sunday, October 13: Chicago Marathon race day
- Thursday, October 31: Donation paperwork due for eligible groups. For more information and required paperwork visit our Volunteer Group Donations webpage.
Click on the red button to the right to apply to be a Group Leader.
Please note that only Group Leaders are asked to apply at this time. If selected, Group Leaders will receive information on further instructing their group members to register to volunteer.